Saturday, February 02, 2008

Another Photography Field Trip - The Chicago Field Museum


The Chicago Field Museum is open FREE for the month of February! That's a $12 savings per adult! So it's time for a "Field Trip" once again!

Last year, a group of photography friends and I went to the Brookfield Zoo (ok, it's got the word "Field" in there too.) We took a lot of photos of the animals while there. But we had to pay for an admission to go.

This year, if we go to the Field Museum in February, it's free! But parking is $15 per vehicle.

So who wants to go?

The Field Museum will be a big challenge when it comes to photography. Photography is allowed in the museum, except at the King Tut exhibit. But a lot of the exhibits are under glass. So if you want a photo of the exhibit, you'll probably want to try using your polarizing filter to eliminate the glare.

Beyond just shooting exhibits, how about finding new ways to shoot the museum? Can you come up with new angles to shoot? Can you tell a story without just shooting the exhibit itself? Can you take photos of the visitors looking at the exhibit to tell a story? The opportunities are endless!

What about flash? Is that allowed? I'm not sure. But I think shooting with ambient light in the museum is the way to go anyway. I don't believe tripods or monopods are allowed in the museum, but I can check into that. So you are going to need to shoot at fast ISO speeds and you'll want the fastest lens you have! Often f2.8 or faster is needed.

For me, I plan to shoot with the Fuji S5 at ISO 1600 and bring my 17-55mm f2.8 lens. I will also bring my Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens as well... so if you have Nikon gear, you can try that lens out.

Nikon cameras (short of the new D3 and D300) often exhibit noise if you shoot at ISO 1600 or faster. I recommend around ISO 800 or ISO 1000 if you shoot with a D200. On a Nikon D70 or D70s, perhaps ISO 800 is as fast as you should go. But using a noise software like Noise Ninja or Neat Image can work wonders on your images that exhibit a little color noise. Can you brace yourself well enough to get a good stable shot without camera blur? Here's your opportunity to test that out!

Let me know if you are interested in going. I am currently planning to do this field trip on Sunday February 24. Are you up to the challenge? Send me an email if you want to join in the fun!

No comments: