Friday, April 04, 2008

Do You Look At Photos Like I Do? Are You A Social Butterfly?

Ever since becoming a photographer, I don't think I look at photos the same way as "normal" people do.

For instance, when I see photos of celebrities in magazines, I don't see the "star" but rather I see the way the lighting was done. Or, I'll look at what they are wearing first and then I see the person.

Or how about photos of products. I don't see the product itself first, but I see how the product was "styled" or how the photographer angled his camera to get the shot. Then I see the product.

Recently, an email message was sent to me announcing another get together with my former classmates from my high school. So one of my best friends emailed me to ask if I was going to go. He wasn't planning on it, but wonder if I would because I'm such a "social butterfly."

I had to laugh out loud about that comment because it's true. Today, I probably could be considered a social butterfly. I wasn't like that when I was younger. But to get the shots I do today as a photographer, I do need to be a social butterfly. I can walk up to a total stranger and strike up a conversation. To get a great shot, sometimes you need to build up that kind of rapport with people. Other times, it's best to stay back and shoot photojournalistically without interacting with the person.

I think my camera opens a lot of doors for me. I've had the opportunity to photograph celebrities (both famous and infamous) and have had access to places that others are not allowed. I've photographed crime scenes, autopsies, fashion shows, weddings, funerals, animals, buildings, products... you name it.

So if I look at photos a little different than most people, I guess it comes with the territory.

Yeah... it's fun to be a professional photographer.

No comments: