Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Grover Cleveland Elementary School - The Tour!

I attended Grover Cleveland Elementary School from 1964 to 1971. After all these years, today was the first time I went back to the school to see how it had changed over the years. Assistant Principal Gabriel Parra was our tour guide and spent over an hour with my brother, my former classmate and me to show us all the new things at Cleveland. Wow! The school has changed for the better and yet some things remained the same. Thanks Mr. Parra! Cleveland is the BEST!


Cleveland school now has grass instead of concrete playgrounds!


Instead of our old monkey bars, the school has added modern equipment.


There is even a Pre-School building now.

Computer labs are a part of the school today.


The library was always a fun place to visit and learn.


I was a hall monitor and a patrol boy when I attended. These were my stairs!!
Kids used to slide down these banisters and I'd send them back up the stairs to walk down instead!


The gym has added new basketball hoops and an electronic scoreboard!


We used to play "Dodgeball" in the gym. I remember the welts I'd get from playing!
Today, a smaller, "squishier" ball is used... less bodily damage to the players!


We used to have to climb these poles. I could never do it.


The pride of the school is the auditorium. It is still very impressive.


The same Baldwin grand piano that my brother and I played when we were students is still being used in the auditorium!


I remember the boiler-room when I was a kid. It still looks the same!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Russel
I hope you still remember me - I used to be Richard's best friend Howard and now live in Germany (near Stuttgart) were they build the famous Mercedes-Benz and Porsches. Left Chicago 1971 but really enjoy thinking back of the times we had both in Chicago and at school.

Enjoyed your documentation of Grover Cleveland school.

Say hello to Richard and Mi-Mi !
Howard