Friday, April 04, 2008

Why Are Some Photographers More Successful Than Others?

While at the WPPI Tradeshow in Las Vegas, I had the opportunity to speak with a lot of other photographers from all over the USA. Some were successful and others were not.

I noticed that the successful photographers all had a good outlook on life and the industry in general. Those that were not as successful had nothing but "doom and gloom" to say about the industry and their lives.

I had to wonder why some of these people were photographers. Really, would you hire someone who had a negative outlook on life? Would you like to have that person there at your wedding?

I had a long talk with one veteran photographer who complained to me about the difficulties he was having embracing the new software program called Lightroom from Adobe. He complained that it was too difficult to use and that anyone using it had to be crazy. I sat there listening to him complain about it all the while thinking that Lightroom had revolutionized my work this past year.

Then, the photographer told me how all these "new" photographers had entered into business and stole all of his clients. They charged less than he did and so his clients were leaving him and going to them. Again, I couldn't help but think that it wasn't just the pricing, but perhaps it was that they had picked up on his negative attitude.

After he was done complaining, he asked me what software I used in my post production photography work. So I told him... Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom. He was shocked. "You use that piece of crap?" I told him yes. "It's got to take you forever to work on your images!" he exclaimed. But I told him it had actually saved me days of work. He could not believe it.

Then he asked me if the new photographers who were cheaper than me were taking away my business. I told him, no. Those brides looking for a low price weren't my clientele. Again, he was shocked. He asked me how long I've been shooting. "Eighteen years." Total silence on his part. He was also a veteran who had been shooting about that long. Maybe it was too long for him...

I explained to him that my clients don't hire me based on my price. They hire me based on my personality and my outlook on how I will help them at their wedding. And I told him that I use software like Lightroom to speed up my work. He just had to invest in the time to learn how to use it. So I gave him some tips on how to do it and he was again amazed.

I hope I helped him in using that software. But even more than that, I hope he got the message that it's not what you charge or what you use for your work on computers or cameras... it's how people perceive you as a potential vendor that gets you hired.

Recently, I met with a potential client who happened to be the sister of one of my past clients. She was excited to show her fiance my work and for him to meet me. She was at the wedding when I shot it for her sister but her fiance was not because he had to be at another wedding in Las Vegas.

Well, when we met, I could tell that he wasn't really happy to be there. Actually, many grooms are the same way. The bride is excited, but the groom isn't. It showed too in this case.

But we went on and I made my presentation and asked the bride what she wanted for her photos. Slowly, I could tell the groom was beginning to loosen up and begin to enjoy being there. In the end, he admitted to me that he really had a bad attitude coming in and that he really didn't want to be there. I told him I could tell. Then he said something to me that I really appreciated.

He said, "You know, you really made me appreciate wedding photography. I didn't want to be here, but what you said and what you showed made me realize I was wrong. I'm really glad you are going to shoot our wedding."

Wow!

With that, he invited me to join them for dinner after our meeting. I thanked him, but told him that since it was a Sunday, I needed to get back home to be with my family.

So why do some photographers succeed where others fail? Is it because these photographer's work is better than the others? Sometimes, yes... their photos are better. But often, it's more that the client feels more comfortable with this photographer than his competiton. So they hire him.

Those are my clients. And that's why I'm still in business. They like my photos and albums, but they LOVE me.

Nice, huh? :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russ:

The first thing is getting people to call or fill out a contact form on a web site. That has been my fustration the past two years as I watch my business fade away to ALL the very young 20 year olds and housewives out there with point and shoot digital SLR cameras, cheap web sites with photos from their friends wedding they shot and giving away the store with cheap pricing. You may say that the people they attract with the low pricing are not your clients, but you are dead WRONG! The economy is really bad and thats a fact, people want stuff cheap, they are setteling for what they can get cheap. The general public does not respect us as artists any longer, and the camera companies have told everyone that they can shoot like a pro themselves.
Im glad that some are doing well, but there are many full time pros including myself of 30 years whos business is down nearly 80% because of many factors.
I have all the software, all the best toys in the business, I know how to use it all and well, but in Northern California it just sucks right now. I my copmplain here and to others in the business, but am just the opposite when speaking to clients. I am positive and happy to meet and speak with them, its just getting them to see the VALUE of what I do and what they will get from me and all the reasons they should hire a pro with experience.
If you are getting business more so than others, it could be many factors. Just enjoy the wave while it lasts, being positive and acting like its all good is wonderful until you find yourself in the same situation as I am right now. Its hard to be positive when there is NO business or money coming in. At least I can rely on the Lord to get us through these times.

russlowe said...

Thanks for your comment.

I'm sorry your business is not doing well. Obviously, I do not wish that upon anyone and hope your business turns around soon.

I suppose we each have our own way to attract clients and some potential clients may be swayed by the low priced beginning photographers out there. But I think that brides who value quality service will seek out those professionals who can give that grade of service to them.

Granted there are some new photographers just starting out that can offer great service, just as there are seasoned professionals who offer lousy service. It's all a matter of who it is and how they decide to work.

But I think that a business can grow itself by staying true to offering the best service / price ratio to its clients and that those who appreciate that will stay with them.

Times are tough... no doubt. I'm sure everyone feels it to some degree. Some more than others.

Hang in there.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Russ,
Great story. Times are changing and it is important embarce that change to stay competetive. I used to work with some folks that complained all day long about the company we worked for. It was so tiring.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I am a relatively new photog and have recently joined the DWF (how I found this Blog) in hopes of getting some useful info from folks like yourself

Thanks and have a good one!

Brian