Thursday, November 20, 2008

Doyle Dykes and Haley Dykes - Randee's Music Center - Rockford, IL






Last night, my friend Jerry and I drove (ok, Jerry drove) to Rockford to see our friends Doyle and Haley play at Randee's Music Center in Rockford, IL. Yeah, we are now officially stalkers!

Doyle and Haley performed flawlessly as usual and we all got to hear several of the new songs that will be released on Doyle's upcoming new CD, "Bridging The Gap." Doyle will be back in Chicago next Monday and will be on WGN radio on the Steve and Johnnie Show sometime after 11 PM, so be sure to tune in to hear them live! It's found on 720 on your AM dial. You can also listen to them on the internet. Just click the Steve and Johnnie Show link above and find the "Listen Now!" link on the top of their page.

Anyway, I have a great story to share. Around 4:30 PM, on our way to Rockford, I called Haley on her cell phone to tell her that Jerry and I were headed to Rockford for the show. I also asked her if she and her dad might be up for a late night snack afterwards and they agreed. But since they had not eaten all day long, they were going to stop somewhere in Rockford for dinner before heading over to the music store to setup. I told her that Jerry and I were going to do the same thing, but we'd just all go out later.

As Jerry and I pulled up into Rockford, we start looking at all the restaurants available... Cracker Barrel, Wendy's, Burger King, KFC, local restaurants... you name it, it was there. I told Jerry to just drive up to whichever restaurant he would like to go and that's where we'll eat. With all these choices available, where do you suppose Jerry drives up to? A Chinese Buffet! Two Chinese guys headed to a Chinese Buffet! I couldn't believe it! Of all places to go, we drive all the way to Rockford to go to a Chinese Buffet?!

I just had to comment that this was SO stereotypical! Keep in mind that Doyle and Haley are from Tennessee, so they are "southern folk." I told Jerry, "The two of us going to a Chinese Buffet would be the equivalent of Doyle and Haley going to Cracker Barrel!" (Cracker Barrel is known for their southern cooking... )

After dinner, we headed over to the show and the first thing I had to ask Haley was, "So... where did you guys go for dinner?" Guess what her answer was? "Cracker Barrel!" Jerry and I just burst out laughing which prompted Haley to ask, "What??!" So we tell her the story of the two of us ending up at a Chinese Buffet and snickering that it could only be better if they ended up at Cracker Barrel! She couldn't stop laughing either. Later, we told the story to Doyle and he just had to laugh as well! He said he just wanted some good southern cooking and a good cup of coffee (he never did get that coffee) so they headed to Cracker Barrel! What a hoot!

Later that evening we all headed to a local Steak & Shake restaurant to wind down. It's always good to talk to Doyle and Haley. They are a couple of my favorite people and I'm glad to count them as my friends. Go see them in concert if you possibly can! Click Here to see more photos from last night on Doyle's Facebook "Group" site.

No comments: