Friday, November 21, 2008

Journey - "Revelation"

Ever since the wedding from November 1, 2008 (see my post on November 3), I've been on this big Journey kick.

I was a fan of Journey back in the 80's, but after hearing my wedding client Tyler sing "Don't Stop Believin'" at the wedding reception, it just brought me back. Since then, I've scoured Youtube.com for Journey videos and I have to say, I am a fan once again!

The new lead singer, Arnel Pineda is incredible! While he does sound a lot like Steve Perry (the original lead singer of the group in the '80's) he adds a lot of his own as well. His rags-to-riches story is quite moving... having grown up in the Philippines and having to live on the streets at one point in his life... he now fronts one of Rock's most famous bands. To see the CBS News interview with the band about how Neal Schon found Arnel on the internet while searching Youtube.com, click here.

Lead guitarist Neal Schon is no stranger in guitar circles. His guitar riffs are well known to the Rock enthusiast and he hasn't lost any of his talent over the years. If anything, he's gotten better.

While on the road to Rockford, IL with my friend Jerry to go see Doyle Dykes and Haley Dykes in concert, we listened to Journey's new album, "Revelation." Turns out Jerry's a Journey fan as well. And while driving back home, we once again turned on Journey! We blasted the music so loud that I didn't hear my cell phone ring twice when Haley tried to call me! They were listening to the Acoustic Guitar Forum Volume 1 CD that I had given them... but that's another story.

The new album "Revelation" is quite good, and it's an incredible value as well. Sold only at Walmart for the measly price of $11.88, not only do you get the new CD, but a second CD with re-recorded Journey favorites sung by Arnel Pineda is also included! And wait, that's not all you get... you also get a DVD of live footage from a concert with the new band! Going directly to Walmart, they have cut out a lot of the middlemen needed to get a CD to market and so they have priced the CD/DVD to reflect that!

If you liked the old Journey, you'll love the new one. Go out and get yourself a copy of their new album, Revelation!

No comments: