Wednesday, May 06, 2009

San Diego Chicken Pie Shop








(Images "borrowed" from my daughter)

Alright... I'm on a roll... so here's another restaurant for you!

The San Diego Chicken Pie Shop is another real treat. This restaurant originally opened in 1936.  I recall going to this restaurant many times with my wife when we lived in San Diego in the late 1980's! While there are other things to order at this restaurant, we always ordered the Pie Dinner.

This is nothing fancy. It's basically just a pot pie with gravy on it and you get mashed potatos, a roll with butter, mixed vegatables (peas, corn and carrots), coleslaw and a slice of pie or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert. And all this is very reasonably priced as well. Some people can't stand this place. But for me, it's great. Basic food. It's almost like food you can get just out of your own freezer, microwave it and eat it. But the Chicken Pot Pies are freshly made and so much better than that.

There are mixed reviews on this one compared to The Green Fly, but if you aren't a fussy eater and you want something that reminds you of the 50's... try this place in San Diego!

Back when I lived in San Diego (in the late 1980's...) the price for a Pie Dinner was around $3.65. Now in 2016 it's $8.99.  (I updated this post with my daughter's photos in 2016... originally wrote it in 2009). Still a great deal in my opinion!

My daughter said that it was nothing fancy, but she loved it as well.  Not sure her friend was as impressed though.  But, if you like simple, basic homestyle food, you can't beat the San Diego Chicken Pie Shop!

No comments: