Thursday, September 24, 2009

Salmon Fishing at Wilmette Harbor


Skunked again! (No fish.)

This morning, I woke up at 3:00 AM so that I could get to Waukegan Harbor to do a litle Salmon fishing. I started out at 4:00 AM near the Waukegan Yacht Club and later ended up on the pier from 6:15 AM to 9:00 AM.

While I had a great time practicing my casts, I didn't catch any fish. I did have one dead salmon floating near where I was fishing... does that one count?

Several fish were seen jumping out of the water... but nobody who was there fishing caught them. I also saw a very nice one in the water just 6 feet away from me, but it was in an area too close to the moored boats and it is prohibited for anyone to fish within 200 feet of a moored boat. Too bad! I was tempted to do a short cast to catch him, but I didn't do it.

I tried a variety of artificial baits. My favorites included a 3/4 Oz. Acme "KO Wobbler" spoon lure and a Rapala "Rattin' Rapala" crankbait that was painted to look like a baby bass. When retrieved through the water, that lure looks just like a small bass swiming! For fishing at 4 AM however, bait has a better chance if it glows-in-the-dark, so I used one of my old Vivitar photo flash strobes to light up the paint on a 3/4 Oz. Acme "Little Cleo" spoon lure. Yes, fishing meets photography!

Regardless, I was "skunked" all day and didn't even get a bite. This year, I've had a lousy track record for catching fish. But I've been having a great time doing it. Hopefully I'll catch something big before the end of the season. Maybe next time.

No comments: