Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Knives


When I was a young boy, I had a Cubscout pocket knife. I'm not sure if I was in 2nd grade or 4th grade... all I know is that I had a knife. Actually, I was always a little surprised that my parents allowed me to have a knife at such an early age. But ever since then, I've had a facination with knives. I think many guys do. But it wasn't until I was in my forties did I actually ever buy another pocket knife!

My first knife was a Buck 181U Odyssey which is the knife on the left with the very pointy blade. I think it cost something like $45. I've carried this knife for many years, but since it's a larger knife that is not easily carried or accepted in some circles, I also bought a very small $10 Gerber knife next. I'm not sure of the model number of this knife, but while it is small, it does have a rather intimidating look to it like the Buck Odyssey. The small Gerber knife is really only good for small jobs, but being made entirely of steel, it's pretty much indestructable. Not bad for a "cheap" little knife, but not perfect.

The Buck 285BK Bantam BLW on the far right is the most recent knife. With a drop point style non-serrated blade, it is a near perfect lightweight everyday carry knife. And at only $15 on sale, it's a bargain.

The two Buck knives have quick single hand opening capabilites, while the small Gerber requires two hands to open. All knives have locking mechanisms which require two hands to release in order to retract the blades. And all blades are extremely sharp.

Over the years since carrying a pocket knife with me, I've found that it does come in very handy. I use them all the time. You'd be surprised at how many things you need to cut. It's a matter of convenience.

Do I use the knives as self defense weapons? Well, I've never had to and hope I never have to. But of course having it with me does give me that option, doesn't it? The problem with knives is that unless you know how to use them safely in a self defense situation, it can easily be taken from you and used against you! Luckily for me, using it for self defense is something I've never had to do. I don't carry a knife for this reason, but it's nice to know it's with me in the event I ever need to use it for that purpose. Still, I believe I would hesitate in using it. I'd rather find a way to get out of the situation than to use it. That's the best defense of all. Be sure to click on the photo for a closer look.

No comments: