Monday, November 30, 2009

"It Keeps Me Out of Trouble"

How often have you heard this... "I do this, because it keeps me out of trouble!"

I think perhaps men use this a lot as an excuse to buy things. For me, it is used for fishing gear, camera gear, guitars...

Where have you heard this? Have you ever heard women use this line? I doubt it is too common for them. I can't see them saying, "I bought these shoes because they keep me out of trouble." Doesn't make much sense to me.

But for guys, we can say things like... "But I bought all this new fishing gear because fishing keeps me out of trouble!" You know, instead of fishing, I could be out gambling, hanging out on the street corner with the guys... you get the idea.

Really, does it keep someone out of trouble? I think perhaps it can GET you into trouble too! You could spend a lot of money on things like fishing gear, guitars and cameras! I know I've been in that situation. I tend to spend too much on equipment!

We all have our vices I suppose. For me, while I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, gamble, etc... I do tend to be a gear junkie instead. Luckily for me, my camera gear is paid back by my work. In the past, my music gear was paid back by the various music gigs I've had, or the recording sessions I've engineered. But so far, I can't say that for my fishing gear.

I wonder when fishing will become a money maker for me... somehow I doubt it ever will. I guess fishing gets me into trouble then! :)

No comments: