Monday, November 23, 2009

Painting Update

Well, after painting the back door in our kitchen, I found that the door would not close easily because the added thickness of the new enamel paint on the door edge! Plus the enamel paint on the door edge rubbing against the enamel paint on the door jam didn't help either.

So, my wife and I took the newly painted door off its hinges and I sanded down the edge of the door to remove the new paint. I also made sure that some additional wood was sanded down too for good measure. Then, I painted the edge of the door with a standard "flat" latex paint. Now it fits just fine.

After reinstalling the door, I had a hard time getting the dead bolt lined up properly again. That took a lot longer than I had anticipated as well.

All in all, the kitchen update that should have been relatively quick and easy took a lot more time than either of us had thought it would. But now that it is done, it sure looks a lot better than it did before. The lesson learned? Nothing is as quick and easy as you might think when it comes to home improvement.

No comments: