Monday, July 19, 2010

"Sorry, I Don't Work Here!"

It seems no matter where I go, people always think I work there.

Just yesterday while looking at the computer section at Costco, a lady came up to me to ask, "Excuse me... do these computers come with an antenna?" My first thought was, "Why would a computer come with an antenna?" My second thought was to say, "Sure and if you want, just go and pick out a new 50" TV set too! We are giving those away with every computer you buy." But what I said was, "Sorry, I don't know. I don't work here!"

This has happened to me a lot over the years. It seems no matter where I am, people come up to me and assume I work there. I'm really not sure why.

While I have had this happen at areas other than the electronic section of stores, most often it happens in the electronics section.

Now it just so happens that I do have a Bachelors degree in Electronics Engineering. And I did work at our family's high-end stereo store for many years after graduating college, but how would anyone know that by just looking at me?

I'm usually minding my own business looking at the various products on the shelves at the store when this happens. I'm not fixing a display or stocking the shelves with products. Still, people will come up and start asking me about the equipment or they will ask about the store's policy on returns or something like that. When I tell them I don't know because I don't work there, they always say, "Oh! I'm sorry! I thought you worked here!"

One day, I should just pretend I do work there and start writing up the order. Maybe I'll get a commission if I sell something! :)

No comments: