Thursday, August 19, 2010

Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce


Perhaps it is just a Cantonese thing, but many Chinese from the southern parts of China love their oyster sauce!

Growing up, I was used to putting oyster sauce on things like fried rice, bok choy, congee (rice soup) and "Hong Kong Steak." Without it, those foods just don't seem the same to me.

All these years, I've always used Lee Kum Kee brand's Premium Oyster Sauce. Lee Kum Kee was the inventor of oyster sauce and I'd guess most Chinese people would know the brand. Oyster sauce was invented accidentally when the owner of the company was cooking up some oysters and forgot about it. As the oysters were "over-cooking" they browned to the point where a unique flavor was discovered. Today, Lee Kum Kee has a huge hold on the oyster sauce market.

Recently, I was given a couple of bottles of another brand of oyster sauce. Never wanting to turn down a "freebie", I happily accepted the bottles. Hmmm.... I couldn't believe it, but I was able to tell the difference. Lee Kum Kee's was far better! Perhaps, I'm just used to their brand's flavor, but to me, this other brand did not compare. I won't mention the brand here, but let's just say it's a major brand name.

While Lee Kum Kee also makes less expensive versions of their oyster sauce, I've always purchased their premium version. After tasting the other brand, I know going forward, I'll just stick with the brand I like best... Lee Kum Kee!


Image borrowed from the internet.

No comments: