Monday, October 25, 2010

Dead Skunk In The Middle Of The Road


I looked out of my front window today and saw this little guy lying in the street by our driveway.  OK, he actually wasn't so little... in fact he's kind of big.

I called the village hall and was connected to the village's public works department  and reported the roadkill.  But I was told someone had already beaten me to reporting it.  So he's going to be removed eventually.  Of course that only meant that right after hanging up the phone that I had to get out there to take a photo for my blog!  I used my Nikon D3 and Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens to take the shot as I really didn't want to get too close to the skunk.  While I could smell him (or her as the case may be), it wasn't as bad as I thought it could have been.  It must have been a quick kill.

I once ran over a squirrel accidentally.  I felt really bad about it and actually circled back to check on it.  I had hit him as another squirrel was playfully chasing him.  I hit him with both my front and rear wheels as he darted right out in front of my car.  I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the other squirrel look at him and slowly walk away.  I was devastated!  So I drove around the block and went back to see if he was suffering or not.  But having hit him with both the front and back wheels, I was pretty sure he died quickly.  For that I was glad, but I still felt awful afterwards.

While I didn't have anything to do with the demise of this little skunk, I still feel bad for it.  I guess animals just affect me like that.

Be sure to click on the image to take a closer look if you have to...

No comments: