Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Snow!!!!


Back in 1967, Chicago had a record snowfall of 23 inches.  Click here to see The Chicago Tribune's account of it and photos.

It's hard to say how much snow will fall for this 2011 blizzard.  I have heard reports that we have had at least 17 inches so far and more is coming.  I got up early and was out working my snowblower at 5:20 AM this morning and finished doing my driveway around 7:30 AM.  Normally, it would only take about a half hour to do my driveway, but not today.  The drifts were "thigh-high" and working a snowblower only allowed me to go down a path a few inches wide at a time.  Had I tried to blow out  the entire width of the snowblower, it would have stalled the machine.  Even after finishing the driveway, only an hour later, there was a bunch of new snow on it again.

I know that I will need to do battle with the snow several more times today.  This is the most snow we have had in a long time!

Edit Note: We ended up with 20.2 inches, making it the third largest snowfall in Chicago history.  In 1999 we had 21 inches and the number one snowfall record was in 1967 at 23 inches.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

The wind was the worst part of it all.