Monday, December 03, 2012

Crown Graphic Special 4x5 Film Camera





When I was growing up, I played with this camera. My dad had one just like it. When I moved to California, I asked my dad to UPS it to me. He did. Since moving back to Illinois, I have never been able to find it! I think it got "lost" when moving back!

I've always felt bad for losing my dad's camera and decided that one day, I would buy another to replace it. So here it is... a Crown Graphi
c Special 4x5 sheet film field camera! This one is actually in better shape than my dad's camera. My dad passed away quite a few years ago, but I made good on my promise (to myself) to replace it.

I'll never shoot this camera, since it is film, but I will keep it and cherish it anyway. I have it in the classroom for all the students to see and admire as well.

Edit Note:  Turns out I never lost my dad's camera!  It was in a box stuffed in my garage all these years!  Found it again.  So now I have two 4x5 cameras!

3 comments:

QDman said...

Would you believe I learned to photograph crime scenes using that camera? :-D

russlowe said...

I learned on a twin lens reflex Mamiya C330s camera! Those were the days, eh? Dr. Hoffman at Grossmont taught us how to use those cameras in our B&W Crime Scene Photography class. Not practical for actual crime scene use, but he was just teaching us how to use Medium Format cameras and how to develop the 120/220 roll film.

For you, using a 4x5 sheet film camera for crime scenes just blows me away! Heavy! Literally!

Daniel said...

Very cool.