Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Salmon from Racine Wisconsin











Once again, my friends Gayle, Jim and I went fishing at Racine Harbor in Racine Wisconsin.  Gayle got there before us around 3 AM and we got there around 3:45 AM.  Ken, a friend of my brother's arrived later, perhaps around 6 AM.

By the time we arrived, Gayle had just caught her first male King Salmon (Chinook Salmon) which weighed in at 9 lbs!  She said it took her by surprise...

Her King Salmon looks a little strange in the photo where she is holding the fish with the scale because it had been laying on the ground for several hours and blood had already pooled in certain areas causing the skin to look a bit different (lividity).

Jim and I both had a fish on our hooks, but we lost them.  Ken did not get anything today.  Later, I helped another angler out there net his 4 lb male King Salmon and he gave the fish to me to keep.  (We originally thought it was a Coho, but my cousin-in-law identified it as a small King Salmon.)  Jim and I brought it to my home and cooked it up on the barbecue for lunch using soy sauce with brown sugar, ginger and green onions.

We decided to keep the fish whole rather than fillet it like we usually do and then we put it in a pan on the barbecue.  The fish was great, just like my other fish last week!  By keeping the fish whole, we had less loss of meat due to filleting.

I also cooked up some fried rice using my new wok and 65,000 BTU burner.  That rice cooked up in less than 4 minutes!!  The wok is FAST with that much heat!

It was a colder day fishing out there today with some drizzling, but we survived.  Just before we left, we saw a double rainbow!  If you look closely, you faintly see another rainbow to the right of the larger one.


No comments: