Thursday, October 05, 2017

Hewlett Packard - HP12C Financial Calculator


Look what I found after so many years!  My Hewlett Packard HP12C financial calculator!

I purchased this calculator around 1987 if I'm not mistaken.  That would make it 30 years old.  It takes three LR44  (A76) batteries which I promptly ordered on eBay.  It still works!

The calculator works with Reverse Polish Notation, so you don't enter data the same as a "regular" calculator.  For instance, for an equation like 5+8= 13, you would enter it this way... 5 ENTER 8 +

Definitely takes some getting used to, but I'm very familiar with it and it seems I haven't lost the ability to work it!  And of course, you can calculate things like interest and payments (for real estate, car payments, etc.)

I checked on Amazon and they still sell this calculator, although it is now less expensive than I paid for it in 1987.  I believe it cost around $89 back then.  Today you can get it on Amazon for only $52.88!  But reading the comments, many seem to say that the quality of construction has gone down compared to the older versions.

I'm looking forward to re-learning the calculator and using it again.  I even downloaded a free iPhone ap that looks and works just like it!  The ap is called Touch Fin (financial calculator).  Check it out!

No comments: