Thursday, November 09, 2017

Falling Out of Bed


I have fallen out of my bed at least five times in the last year since purchasing a new mattress.  The new mattress has a "rolled edge" rather than a hard solid edge (like on cheaper mattresses), so it's easier to roll out of bed.

Each time, I have a dream that either requires me to fight off someone who is trying to attack my family and I need to defend them, or my dream requires me to jump or move to another area (from point A to point B).  Each time though, I end up on the ground instead!

In the past, I would fall out of bed and be ok, but last night, when rolling towards the floor, my chin and throat hit the edge of my nightstand causing my neck to snap back.  Also, my big toe from my left foot got caught between the bed frame and the box spring, so it is hurt as well.

I am lucky I didn't snap my neck or cause major damage to my throat or larynx.  This morning, I had a huge "sore throat" in the larynx area and a bit of whiplash.  My big toe is aching as well.

Perhaps I need to look into a bed rail or something!  Sounds weird for an adult, but apparently, many seniors have this problem of falling out of bed as well.  I'm not technically a "senior" yet by legal definition, but I'm close.

I have fallen out of bed many times in the past as well.  I recall within the first couple of days of being married, I fell out of bed!  I give my wife a lot of room on the bed, so I tend to sleep right on the edge of the bed.  I've been doing this for over 30 years.  I usually sleep on my side too.  So any false move, I'm on the floor.  I'd estimate that since being married (and counting this past year), I've probably fallen out of bed 8 or 9 times!

It's getting dangerous now that I'm older and so I am seriously considering some kind of restraint system going forward.  What do you think... bed rails?  Yikes!

No comments: