Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Is This True?

"A good photographer can make a great image with a basic camera, but a great camera can't make a great image in the hands of a poor photographer."

Is this a true statement? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I'm of the opinion that while a good photographer can perhaps get a great image with a basic camera, having a pro camera with him/her makes it a lot easier! And, a poor photographer can get lucky sometimes and having that great camera with him/her would make that process a lot easier too!

So, what I'm saying is... why not have the great camera with you if you have a choice?

If you gave me a basic camera and said, "Go shoot this wedding with this basic camera," I could probably do it. And, most likely, I'd come back with some very good images too. But think about how many more I could give you if I had that great camera with me! Consider also that I might miss some shots because the camera was too slow. Or that my composition may be off because the lens on the basic camera was too short and I couldn't get close enough.

Now, if you handed that great camera to the poor photographer and said, "Go shoot this wedding with this camera," I think he/she would most likely bring back some mediocre shots and perhaps a couple of great shots mixed in as well. It's possible to get lucky sometimes. Of course, you could also say, "The poor photographer has no business shooting a wedding!" Now that statement is one I'd agree with! lol

A great image is more than just good exposures... there's composition, timing (getting the shot at the right moment), proper focus, proper use of depth of field, shot selection (knowing what to shoot,) and more. It takes a lot to get a great shot. Using a great camera helps get the shot faster and easier, but it doesn't think for you.

So while it's true that perhaps a great photographer can possibly make a great image with a basic camera, it doesn't hurt to make life easier by using a great camera as well.

And keep that poor photographer away from shooting a wedding!

That's my two cents on the matter.

No comments: