Thursday, October 26, 2006

Is It Time To Sell The Hasselblads?


Not too long ago, Hasselblad medium format cameras were the wedding cameras of the best photographers. The huge square format 2-1/4" x 2-1/4" film negative size allowed for some very large prints to be made without image degradation. I had three of these cameras.

Up until last year, people were still asking me if I shot in film. But today, nobody asks that any more. Everyone assumes that I shoot in digital today. In just the short time of one year, the question of film has gone to the wayside.

I think most people have accepted that digital is the new reigning king of cameras. If your wedding photographer is still shooting film, I can tell you that eventually, he /she is going to have to switch to digital. Clients now demand it.

So, should I sell my Hasselblad gear? To be honest, I've already sold two of the three cameras and some of the lenses. I only have one more left. I seriously doubt I'll ever shoot it going forward, but part of me wants to just keep the last one anyway because it's a symbol of times past. What do you think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep it.

Anonymous said...

DON"T SELL THE 'BLADS!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am also keeping my film cameras. I use a Nikon D200 but usually along with my 4x5 and a Bronica system. I still do B&W at home but it's because I enjoy it and I don't have to be "commercial" with it. I work in computers and laser drives all day and really don't enjoy having to spend time in Photoshop tweaking photos.
Keep your Blad!

Anonymous said...

Last year, I shot weddings carrying a Nikon F100, a hasseblad, a 35mm bag and a medium format bag. People would ask me if I was shooting digital. This year, I have been shooting my weddings carrying a nikon D70s and maybe a small bag. That's it! Going digital has lightened my load considerably as well as streamlined production. You probably think I am going to tell you to sell your hasselblad but I am not. I still use mine for portraits and groups. My digital camera just can't beat the quality of a 6x6 negative. And scans from a 6x6 hassy negative look great so you still have the advantage of manipulating your images. Keep it. If nothing else, put it on a shelf, pop the shutter every now and then and remind yourself of the good ole days.

Anonymous said...

Keep the Blad; I still have my original 33mm film camera acquired in 1974 - a Mamiya/Sekor DSX 500 match needle and Pentax 42mm mount. I can't part with it; however I have gotten rid of 2 complete Olympus OM systems and a Canon Rebel that I used as a backup body. I still shoot my Canon EOS Elan II e and just ordered an Xti to go for my first digital SLR. I don't shoot anything pro; I'm just a serious amateur.

Oh - I also have:
93 Taylor 410
96 Taylor Baby
05 Taylor 12 string Anniversary