Monday, June 11, 2007

"What's In That Pelican Case?"




I've had a couple of people ask me what is inside my camera case when I go to weddings, so I thought I'd show you.

This is a Pelican 1624 case (basically a 1620 case with padded dividers) which has a pull out handle and dolly wheels for easy rolling. Fully loaded with my equipment, it weighs 62 lbs! Not the easiest case to lift in and out of the trunk of my car!

For destination weddings, I use the Pelican 1514 case (a 1510 case with padded dividers) which is similar to the large case, but sized to fit in the overhead bins of an airplane.

But the 1624 is my main case for most weddings and that's packed from top to bottom. The divider section which holds my small lenses comes out to reveal a lower compartment which holds my larger lens, more flash / battery packs and cameras. The large 70-200mm f2.8 lens stores vertically in the right side of the case.

Overall, the 1624 has enough space to allow me to bring enough equipment to cover the average wedding along with backup gear. Still, I continue to wear my Lowepro belt system to hold many of the needed gear throughout the day. Things I don't need access to as often stays in the case. The case is always locked with padlocks and then secured with a bike cable and padlock to a stationary object at the church or reception hall. So if you are thinking of walking off with my gear when I'm not looking, be ready to carry out a church pew or a reception hall table as well because that's what my case is often locked to!

No comments: