Tuesday, May 20, 2008

PR-24 Police Baton Vs. Photography Monopod



Back in the 1990's, I received a certification to use and carry the police baton known as the PR-24... in the State of California! During my evidence tech training days, I took classes in a lot of things including firearms training (one of my favorite classes) and of course crime scene photography.

Although I enjoyed my firearms training (I'm pretty good with a handgun), I had a desire to learn to use non-firearm weapons as well. To be certified to use the PR-24, I took a course designed specifically for police officers and security guards who use the PR-24 as part of their certified weapons to carry. Although I have had martial arts training and am proficient with several martial arts weapons, I was still required to take the training if I wanted to be certified. The PR-24 is fashioned after the Okinawan weapon known as the Tonfa. But the PR-24 was designed specifically with law enforcement in mind. Basically, it's considered a "side-handled baton" and it's a lot heavier and longer than a standard Tonfa.

Today, law enforcement officers have many kinds of non-firearm weapons to choose from. The Orcutt OPN III is law enforcement's answer to the Nunchaku (nunchucks as it is commonly known as.) The ASP is an expandable baton. This weapon is probably best known as the weapon that Olympic Figure Skater Nancy Kerrigan was attacked with on the ice. Many of these weapons for law enforcement can find their roots in the martial arts.

But instead of a police PR-24 baton, today you'll find a photography monopod hanging from my belt. Used with a special tilt head on the monopod, they fit perfectly when carried in a standard carpenter's hammer holder attached to my belt. I use the monopod to steady my camera, especially when using a long lens like the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens. But recently while on the elevator going to the parking garage at Navy Pier, someone actually thought I was a security guard because he mistook my monopod for a baton! Now I don't know too many security guards who also carry a Nikon camera with them while out on patrol, do you? What was he thinking?!

But can I utilize a monopod like a baton? You better believe it! Besides the PR-24 training, that "straight baton" training I took as well wasn't taken for no reason you know! And if that monopod can't protect me, I can always throw my Nikon D3 at an assailant! Well, maybe not. The D3 costs too much! :)

No comments: