Sunday, May 25, 2008

Engagement Session At Navy Pier



Once again, I returned to Navy Pier to photograph an engagement session. The last time I was there, I shot a proposal.

We were able to get some nice images before Pier security stepped in and told us that we could not take our photos there! They even threatened to confiscate my camera if we did not stop shooting. (From information I have about photographer's rights, I don't believe they can legally do that, let alone threaten me about it as well.) Hmmm... considering how many cameras and other people were there to take photos of themselves having fun, I guess we were singled out because I had a bigger camera than most other people there. Didn't seem quite fair, but we did not cause problems and we stopped.

Of course that did not stop us from finding other areas "around" Navy Pier to take photos! Out on the street shooting INTO Navy Pier also gave us some nice shots. I reasoned that security did not have the authority to stop us if we were out on the street taking some photos...

This is not the first time I have had security try to ruin a photo session. When Millenium Park first opened to the public, my clients and I were approached and told to stop taking photos as well. This was around the time that 9/11 had occurred. But today, there are SO MANY wedding photos taken at Millenium Park that I guess it's ok now. Regardless of the nasty way we were treated this time at Navy Pier, we still got our shots and I'm sure my clients will be happy with the results!

(6-09-08 Update: I spoke with the head of security and also the PR department at Navy Pier and was told that a $100 shooting fee is required to shoot at Navy Pier. So going forward, clients will be required to pay this fee if they want to go to Navy Pier to have their photos taken.)

No comments: