Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lake Michigan Mottled Sculpin or Just A Goby??







My friend AJ and I were out fishing again at 6:00 AM today at Government Pier in Waukegan, IL. After our Salmon catch from last Friday, we thought we'd try it once again from the pier. No luck... for salmon that is. But we were able to catch some gobies (a very undesirable little fish) and one unidentified black mutant of a fish that we think might be a Lake Michigan Mottled Sculpin (but it could be just a Goby.)

I asked my friends on WindyCityFishing.com if they knew what this little black fish was and it seems it could be a Lake Michigan Mottled Sculpin. But nobody has ever seen a black one before. Some think it is just a goby.

Admittedly, this is one UGLY fish. When I pulled it up, I was shocked at what I saw. It looks like some kind of alien mutant! I looked for its eyes, but am not sure it had any. If the little black protrusions are eyes, it was all black.

I didn't want to touch this thing and neither did AJ. So I had AJ take my picture with it hanging from the hook. Yuck!

After tossing him back in (not sure I should have done that in hind sight) I caught a couple of gobies and so did AJ. That was about all we were able to catch from 6 AM to 9:45 AM. We had about two dozen minnows as bait and it seemed all we were doing were feeding gobies since we could clearly see them on the bottom of the lake going after our minnows. We had hoped for perch, but there were none around. I think our best bet is to stick with chartered boats on Lake Michigan and go out to where the salmon are. There were none to be had by us on the pier.

1 comment:

Dan said...

All Gobies Russ. They are not supposed to be returned to the water. The black ones are male and the light ones are female. You can tell on the female by the spot on the dorsel. Also Gobies have a fused pelvic fin where as scholfins do not.