Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lunch With An Old Friend

I grew up in Chicago and a Greek family lived upstairs from my family. When our family decided to move to the suburbs, we lost touch with this family... until today... 39 years later!

My brother and I had lunch with our dear friend Marion today. Thinking back, she is probably our oldest friend since she's known us ever since we were born! We grew up together. We played together. And, we went to elementary school together. She was several years older than my brother and me so we always looked up to her like an older sister. In fact, my parents would not let us go too far away from home unless Marion was with us. We could not go "Trick or Treating" in the evening hours unless she was with us. That's how much my parents trusted her.

She hasn't changed at all. Still the warm hearted, funny girl I remember. While all of us have gotten older over all these years, we still seem to connect quite well. It was fun to remember the days we all grew up together. We commented how things have changed over the years where parents cannot trust their kids to go out on their own. Not so when we grew up! Even as kids under 10 years old, we were ALL OVER Chicago on our own!

Those were the days, I suppose. I wonder how our own kids will look back years from now and if they will remember these days as "the good ol' days" compared to the future.

It was great seeing Marion again after all these years!

No comments: