Friday, June 09, 2017

The Sixth Smoke With The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker and ThermoWorks Smoke Thermometer/Alarm - Baby Back Ribs





A lot of "firsts" on this cooking of ribs!

I got to use my new ThermoWorks Smoke 2-channel thermometer / alarm.  It worked perfectly!  I was able to stay inside and monitor the entire cooking process without having to run outside and open the smoker to take a temperature.  Every time you open the lid to the smoker, you lose heat and smoke.  By having the remote, I could easily tell how the meat was doing and how hot the temperature of the smoker was at the grate level.

I also got a new access door for the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker too!  Made by Canjun Bandit, this new door and latch is a huge improvement over the standard door from Weber.  Made of a thicker gauge stainless steel, the door helps cut down heat loss and smoke loss.  Through the access door, I got to use my new Panacea Products fireplace poker too.  It worked great by pulling coals towards me when needed.

As for the ribs, I used my fishing buddy Jim's secret recipe again, but this time, we cooked the baby back ribs without wood smoke!  My family decided that the wood smoke actually is not a desired component to this particular recipe, so we used the smoker strictly as a slow barbecue pit.  The ribs came out just great!  Still had a "smoke ring" too!  I suppose it was due to the charcoal.

I am getting better at cooking this way.  The thermometer makes it a lot easier to keep track of the cooking process.  Well worth the money in my opinion.

No comments: