Thursday, November 02, 2006

How Many Guitars?

Taylor 314ce-L4

I was talking to one of my clients the other day and the topic of my guitars came up. Since my wedding work is winding down for the year, we were wondering what I was going to write about on my blog during the winter.

If you read my blog regularly, you know I enjoy talking about guitars because besides photography, I love to play my guitars. But how many guitars have I gone through in my life so far? I really didn't know. So tonight, I made a list of all the guitars I have owned and still own. I'll get to that in a minute. But let me tell you about the first two guitars I ever owned...

My very first guitar was a "no name" electric guitar that my dad bought me at the old Korvettes store in Morton Grove. It was a hollow body thinline electric guitar similar to a Gibson 355 with an awful neck that made it really hard to play. I remember it cost $59. I also got a Kingston 15 watt amplifier to go with it. Not sure how much that cost.

A few months later, my dad happened to run into a "deal" for another guitar while he was at a music store buying a Fender Rhodes 73 key suitcase model keyboard for my brother. Some guy came into the store and tried to return a Fender Telecaster Thinline guitar that he had bought a few months before. The store owner didn't want to buy it back, so my dad asked the man how much he wanted for it. $175. Well, my dad really didn't know anything about guitars, but he remembered me telling him that one day I would like to own a Fender or Gibson guitar and he knew that Fender guitars could not be purchased for only $175 back then.

He didn't have enough money with him, but he asked the man to get in the car with him and they drove to my dad's workplace and he got the $175 and bought it! I recall coming home from school and my dad said he had something for me and it was on the sofa. I was in shock when I saw that guitar! That was the biggest surprise I ever had!
I was only eleven years old when my dad bought me that Fender Telecaster. Not too many kids can claim to own a real Fender Telecaster at the age of eleven! My dad was the best! Later, he bought me a huge Fender Bandmaster Tube amp to go with it! We got that for only $225.
Like my dad, I bought my daughter a Fender Stratocaster when she was fourteen.

So here's the list of my guitars:

Owned and Sold:
“No Name” Hollow Body 355 copy from Korvettes
Fender Telecaster Thinline
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul ‘57 Goldtop – Custom Shop
Takamine F340
Takamine NP45C
Takamine CD132SC
Takamine EAN60C
Ovation Legend – Steel String
Yamaha FG Series - 12 String
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 314ce-L4
Fender Precision Bass

Currently Owned:
Gibson Les Paul 25th Anniversary
Ovation Legend – Nylon String
Taylor GSMSe
Taylor Doyle Dykes Signature Model (DDSM)

Fender Jazz Bass - 5 string version

Owned by my daughter:
Fender Stratocaster

How many guitars is enough? Is this too many?

I don't think so...

:)

No comments: