Friday, April 17, 2015

Century Egg - aka 100 Year Old Egg


The Century Egg, also known as the 100 year old egg or 1000 year old egg, is actually a preserved duck egg.  I recall contestants on the TV show, "Fear Factor" had to endure eating these.

For many Asians, this egg is actually eaten often!  It is usually combined with rice congee when served.  Would I dare eat them?  Absolutely!  I've been eating these eggs since I was a young boy!

The toughest part about eating these eggs is the egg yolk.  The smell and taste can put you off if you've never tried it before.  They definitely have an ammonia smell to them and the texture can be a bit surprising.  But, if you've grown up eating these, they actually are quite tasty.  I actually look forward to them when eating a bowl of congee! (Images borrowed from the internet)

Would you try these?  Post your comments!


1 comment:

Daniel said...

I would try it.