Friday, March 01, 2019

Spinning Some Vinyl on the Luxman PD375 Turntable


Forty years ago, my family owned and operated a stereo store in Skokie, IL called "Component Stereo".  We sold a variety of audio equipment of which this Luxman PD375 vacuum pump turntable was one of the items available.  It still works great and sounds great too!

I have an Ortofon VMS 30 Mk II cartridge mounted on it.  We sold that too.

The vacuum platter sucks all the air out from between the platter and the record adhering the record to the metal platter with a rubber gasket on the outer edge of the platter.  The idea was to make the record really flat and to essentially make the disc really heavy.  This helps dampen any vibrations that might be picked up and smear the sound through the speakers when played loudly.

The album I'm listening to is "Tower of Power Direct" - a Sheffield direct to disk recording.  Very powerful!  I haven't played this album in a little over 30 years!  Still sounds terrific!

I'm enjoying the old albums we used to use to demo our equipment at the store all those years ago.  Vinyl records are gaining popularity once again... something that some audio manufacturers thought would not happen after the CD was invented.  Well, they were wrong.  Analog lives on!

I'm excited to attend this year's AXPONA show in Schaumburg, IL in April.  It's been a while since I've been to one of these kind of shows.  I'm looking forward to seeing what is new in high-end audio!

No comments: