Wednesday, July 08, 2009

AquaTech Rain Shield - First Use!


Back on June 1, 2009, I wrote about the AquaTech Rain Shield and how I had never had the opportunity to use it. Well, I got my chance earlier today at a corporate event I was photographing.

The rain was coming down slowly but steadily for most of the outdoor event, but that did not stop the event itself. So I donned my rain shield over my Nikon D3 and a 24-70mm f2.8 lens and kept the camera and lens dry. The lens shade was the only thing out in the rain and I was sure to keep the lens itself pointed only forward or down towards the ground when I wasn't shooting.

The viewfinder is protected with a special screw-in adapter from AquaTech, so no real worries there. But what I didn't expect was how "hot" my hand and arm was getting from being inside that nylon/plastic protector the whole time! In fact, my hand and arm were perspiring so much that I was causing a fog to develop on the inside of the see-through vinyl window! So every now and then, I had to pull my arm out to try to cool down the inside of the shield and dry it off a little!

It was kind of cool to be able to shoot in the rain. I was getting wet throughout the day (my hair was a mess by the end of the event) and my belt system was too, but it is designed to handle light rain.

I can't show any of the photos from the shoot because all the images have to go to the company I was shooting the event for, but it's a major company that everyone's heard of. Fun times! :)

No comments: