Thursday, July 30, 2009

Back Up Your Photo Files!


I sent a reminder to some of my past clients recently to remind them that their wedding photo files on CD-R and DVD-R are not good forever. The discs eventually will become unreadable.

CD-R lasts longer than DVD-R media, but it's still susceptible to becoming unreadable over time as well.

It's been estimated that DVD-R discs will start having problems in about 4 to 5 years after burning. I'm not sure if this holds true of all discs, but why take the chance? It's better to safeguard that data by burning to new discs. Better yet, copy them onto a hard drive. Drives are relatively inexpensive today and is probably the best way to backup your data.

Keep a copy off-site as well.

Once I give my clients their digital files, I remind them that it's now up to them to backup their data. While I may have their files years from now, I don't guarantee it. I think today, most people know that they need to do some kind of backup for computer files. Photo files are no different and should also be backed up for safe keeping.

Do yourself a favor and backup your data today!

No comments: