Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Photoshop To The Rescue!

Original Image - Courtesy of Chris Gruthusen

Photoshop-Corrected Image

While on a recent trip to the Bermuda Triangle, my neighbor Chris Gruthusen took this amazing photograph of the waves generated within the swimming pool on the deck of their ship during a storm. According to Chris, the waves actually got 2-3 times higher than you see here, but his tiny point & shoot Canon digital camera was not fast enough to capture it. Still, Chris was able to get this image with his camera while everyone else on the ship was still sleeping...

It's an amazing shot, but it needed a little help to maximize its full glory. So I took the image to the computer and worked my Photoshop magic and voila... a better image!

Color correction, increased color saturation, brightness and contrast adjustments as well as burning and dodging of specific areas were some of the techniques applied to get the resulting second image.

Not bad, eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russ,

Thanks for the Photoshop work on the wave in action! It’s trilling to see the improvements you made to the picture. If I stick with it and practice, I would like to get half as good as you. Now, I only have to live that long.

Chris

russlowe said...

Chris:

Many images have the potential to become a great image. Unfortunately, too many people just print the image right out of the camera and never extrapolate the best out of it by doing some post production work.

Each of my images that I give to my wedding clients have been individually Photoshop corrected before they receive it. That's why there's a consistency in the quality of each picture they get from me. Not all photographers do this because it takes time... and time is money. But I think it's doing a disservice to your clients if you don't put that kind of effort into your work.

Keep shooting and learning. You'll get to be real good at it faster than you think.

Russ