Tuesday, August 02, 2016

First Time Cooking Basmati Rice


Years of cooking rice, but this is the first time I've ever cooked my own Basmati Rice!  It's a long grain rice that seems to have an aroma similar to Jasmine rice, but not quite as strong.  Being a longer grain rice, it is less sticky than regular long grain rice.  Short grain rice really tends to stick more, which I do not really like.  Costco had this 20 lb bag for $15.49.  You can see a photo of this kind of rice here.

I like how the bag has a zipper too!  There is an inner plastic bag that keeps the rice from coming in contact with the burlap bag.  Just use a metal paper binder clip to re-seal the plastic bag and then zip up the burlap bag!  Cool!

Today, I made Japanese Curry Chicken with potatoes and peas!  Any kind of curry tastes good with basmati rice!  I have eaten basmati rice for years since I go to Indian restaurants, but this is the first time I made my own.  I wonder how this will work out if I use it to make fried rice?

I found that using the same amount of water that I usually do for standard long grain rice is a bit too much for basmati rice.  I need to back off the water just a bit.  I recall most of the basmati rice I've had at restaurants tended to be less soft than mine.  Still, it wasn't a bad attempt on my first time out!

Next up... I have to learn to make my own Indian Butter Chicken and also Mutter Paneer!  Time to hit up YouTube for some recipes!

No comments: