Friday, October 05, 2018


I've been playing guitar for about 50 years and playing the electric bass about 40 years. I normally set up all of my own guitars, but I've never done it for my bass.

I purchased this 5-string Fender Jazz Bass perhaps 15 or 16 years ago and never had it adjusted from when it was purchased new. When new, it wasn't bad to play, but over the years, it just got harder and harder. I believe the neck was most likely bowing slightly and it needed its truss rod adjusted.

Never having done that myself on a bass, I thought it best to have a professional do it, so I brought it to Guitar Works in Evanston, IL. I had been there in the past to watch my friend Doyle Dykes play there and from my visit there, I knew they would do a good job.

A very nice older Japanese gentleman took my bass in and did the set up. He is also a bass player, so I knew it would be in good hands. I'd rather a bass player do the setup rather than a guitar player who really has no idea of how a bass should be setup properly!

I was right! He did an amazing job! The setup makes the bass play so much easier now! It feels like a new bass again!

Highly recommended if you've never had a professional setup done on your instrument!

By the way, my daughter took this bass and learned how to play it herself and joined the 8th grade Jazz Band! She was actually quite good for self taught! I remember at one of the jazz band seminars (they had a guest conductor), the conductor asked the jazz band, "Who do you follow in the band?" Everyone answered, "ROBYN!" It was quite funny! I think the conductor was going for either, "Follow each other" or "Follow the direction of the conductor."

To this date, she can't remember how to play the bass any more since she hasn't picked it up in all these years!

For her 8th grade graduation present, I bought her a matching Fender Stratocaster. She can't remember how to play that either! ;)

No comments: