Thursday, February 16, 2006

Is It TOO EARLY To Book A Photographer?

I get this question quite often.

No... it's not too early to book a photographer if your wedding is between one or one and a half years away. Believe it or not, this is actually more common than you think.

Usually the reception hall and/or church is contacted first. Once that's secured, the next in line is usually the wedding photographer. Why? Well, it seems most bridal couples feel that photography is one of the most important aspects of their wedding day because it preserves the memories of the day visually.

Many of the best wedding photographers book a year or two in advance! Now that's not to say you can't find a great wedding photographer just a month or two before your wedding. It's just that photographers often book just as quickly as reception halls (well, not as quick really) and if you want the best, you need to take action and book them.

I have had to tell brides whom I had met just a week earlier that I was already booked for their wedding dates when they called back to book me simply because someone else came in a day or two after they did asking for the same date and made a quick decision. That really hurts not only the disappointed bride, but me too! Often I spend a couple of hours in pre-wedding consultation with my potential clients in reviewing my albums and going over my policies and giving advice on their weddings. So when they go home to think about whether I am the right photographer for them and then someone else comes in and books the exact date before they make a decision, I feel bad for them and for me at the same time because of the investment of time and energies!

Time is of the essence when considering your wedding vendors. I always tell people that if it feels right and if the photographer is within your budget, make a decision and move on it. It will be to your advantage.

Recently, I had both a family friend and a relative ask me about having me photograph their weddings this year. But because of delays in getting together with me to discuss the details of their weddings, other clients had already booked me for those dates! So, while my own family is attending their weddings, I'll be working at the weddings of other clients!

Not only do potential clients miss out sometimes, but I do as well.

My advice? Book the photographer you feel most comfortable with and do it soon.

No comments: