Thursday, February 09, 2006

Gary Fong's In Town Tonight!



Gary Fong is one of the most well known wedding photographers in the world and I'll be attending a seminar of his this evening at the Marriott O'Hare.

Gary was the guy who sold me the Fuji S3 Pro camera that I am currently using for my weddings because he had several and didn't need all of them (they were brand new.) He endorses Fuji and I have a feeling he may have gotten these directly from Fuji... but that's just my guess.

He's also the inventor of the Lightsphere light modifier that I use at all of my weddings. You can see a photo of it in use if you look at the picture of me at the top of this page. There's also one on the flash on the table Gary is moving on the 2nd image...)

And, Gary charges $120,000 to photograph a wedding.

I knew that would get your attention! :)

Actually, Gary doesn't shoot many weddings any more. He doesn't have to. He's a multi-millionaire now. But if someone wants him to shoot their wedding, they will just have to pay his price...

When he was shooting weddings regularly, he commanded a high price, but nowhere near $120,000. I believe his last posted price before his price increase was $20,000. That isn't unreasonable considering those who could afford him would be getting one of the best known wedding photographers in the world to shoot their wedding. Denis Reggie, who is known as the "father of wedding photojournalism" charges $50,000 per wedding I believe and I think he's booked every weekend too.

Wow... I've got to raise my prices! :)

Gary made millions from very smart real estate investments. He took the money he made shooting weddings (which already made him a millionaire) and saved it and then invested it. Now he doesn't really have to work, but he does continue to work with photographers by inventing and manufacturing things like light modifiers and developing software to make our lives a little easier. He also goes on tours and conducts seminars like the one I'll attend tonight.

(edit note: images were added on 2-10-06)

2 comments:

Momma said...

im just glad i got you before you became famous! :)

russlowe said...

I'm already famous... in my own mind! :)

Actually, it's quite interesting that many other photographers know who I am... I'm just not as famous as Gary is. I suppose you hang around the wedding business long enough, your name does get around.