Monday, February 06, 2006

What's With "Vintage" Goods?



As you read in a recent post, I purchased some older Marantz receivers because it reminded me of my past working in our family's business years ago. I got these items on eBay.

So now, I'm hooked and I'm selling things on eBay!

I took several items that I have not used in a long time and put them on the web to sell and lo and behold, it appears some of these items are now considered "vintage" collector's items!

Two of my old guitar distortion pedals are considered "desirable items" and the price is moving up! As exciting as it is to see that people really want my old items, it's also kind of sad to think I'm giving up something that's considered a vintage collectors item...

Nostalgia is big... that's why people buy antiques and shows like "Antiques Road Show" is so popular.

I never gave it much thought until recently. I suppose sometimes high-tech is not always the most desirable!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At our age, it won't be too long now before they consider us "vintage"!

russlowe said...

Yes, and we get better with age too, right?

russlowe said...

Just an update note: my Big Muff Pi is currently at $104... it's a second generation version. But there is currently a first generation version of this distortion pedal being sold at the same time as mine and it's going for $400 right now!! Unbelieveable! If you know what's actually inside these units, you'll find that it is only a handful of parts probably worth only a dollar or two!

What makes something skyrocket to $400? Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....With that kind of margin, I see another business opportunity!

russlowe said...

If you could find items that are "desirable" at a low cost and then can auction them on eBay, I can see this as a viable business opportunity for people.

I know that there are plenty of peope that make their living just selling items on eBay.

It does take time and effort though. You must take a good photo of your item, write the "ad", answer all the questions people have about your item and then you have to pack it and ship it. That all takes time and energy. But if you have the ability to do this, I can see this being a business for people!

Good luck!