Thursday, November 01, 2007

87 Kids for Halloween

Yesterday's weather was pretty decent for a change for a Halloween night. Sixty degrees...

So I figured we'd have a bunch of kids coming to our home to get their "tricks or treats." I did a running tally and here's what we had: 87 total kids in 17 different groups. All of the kids had parents who hung out by the sidewalks, except for the junior high and high school kids who went out on their own.

Years ago, when I was doing my fair share of candy hopping in Chicago, the moment school let out, my brother and I were out the door on our quest for candy. My sister came along with us years later, but we'd "ditch" her with my mom because she would slow us down! Yeah, we were mean brothers when it came to getting our candy!

We'd go up and down the streets filling up our shopping bags. Back then, all we had were either plastic pumpkins to use or brown paper shopping bags with handles. By the end of the night, we'd have an entire brown paper bag filled with candy!

Today, times are different. You have to be really careful. In the past, we never gave it a second thought. Kids under 10 were going out on their own! Not today. That wouldn't be smart. It's too bad how the world has changed...

Anyway, it was good to see all the kids having fun again on Halloween. No rain, decent temperatures.... good times!

No comments: