Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Deering - Goodtime Banjo





Yes, I'm posting a day early! I've been late posting in the past few weeks so I thought I'd surprise everyone and post a day early.

Just got this instrument in yesterday... a Deering Goodtime Banjo!

I was always amazed at the speed of pickin' that banjo players can do and have always wanted to learn how to do it too. So I decided it was time to give it a try!

The banjo is about as American of an instrument as they come. Some may say it's kind of "nerdy" to play a banjo, but I don't think so. It's a cool sounding instrument and it does take some skill to play it. This one is a very basic model, but I think it will serve its purpose in helping me learn to play.

The Goodtime banjo is an open back banjo. It does not have the resonator back that comes on more advanced models. But it plays really nice! It doesn't take much pressure to fret the strings to get a decent tone. It plays like butter!

I recall watching Jerry Van Dyke (Dick Van Dyke's brother) play a banjo on the Dick Van Dyke show. And, who can forget seeing Roy Clark play a banjo too? Of course Roy Clark from the TV series "Hee Haw" could play just about any stringed instrument! And let's not forget "Dueling Banjos" from the movie "Deliverance."

Yee Haw! :)

No comments: