Thursday, August 02, 2018

2018 Wisconsin State Fair - August 2, 2018

All Images Were Taken With A Nikon D3400 and Nikon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens
All images were custom white balanced with a Balanced Exposure CWB Reflector
Click on the photos and use your arrow keys to see larger versions
Commentary below the images













































This was my second time at a Wisconsin State Fair.  I went back in 2016 and decided I'd go again this year.  This year, I went on opening day and got there around 9:15 AM.  I got in for only $2 because I brought two cans of peaches to donate for Hunger Task Force (a promo for opening day).  Parking was $12 and I parked in approximately the same spot I did two years ago in the handicapped parking spaces at Gate 3.  To get around the fair, I used my mobility scooter, like I did 2 years ago.

The Fair was very similar to the one I attended two years ago, but I was expecting that.  I wanted to go this year to take photos using the entry-level Nikon D3400 with the basic kit lens to see how well it would do shooting an event.  I'm impressed!  The images are very comparable to images taken with a much more expensive camera.  Plus, the kit lens really did a great job too!  The images were taken in aperture priority mode with Auto ISO and the lens at f8.0

Obviously there was plenty of light being an outdoor event, so the camera had no issues taking the photos.  At times, exposure compensation was needed to get the proper exposure due to backlit situations.  All images were processed with Adobe Lightroom, but even so, they were processed minimally.

There were rides (I did not go on any) and of course animals and competitions.  I really wanted to sit in on one of the animal competitions to watch the judging, but my nose told me no.  Still, I went through the various buildings housing the animals and took photos of them there.

Ouf course, there were LOTS of food vendors and I took a bunch of photos of the various booths, but I'm only showing a handful here.  The fair's famous Original Cream Puffs was the only thing I purchased.  You've got to get a Cream Puff if you attend the fair!  $4.00 for one, but it was less if you ordered 3 or more.  I only ordered one.  Being lactose intolerant (like many Asians), I couldn't take the chance with any more than one.  So far, I've had no adverse effects from eating it though!

I did not order any food there as I'm still on a diet and watching my calories, plus I just could not get myself to spend the amount of money needed for the food there.  Instead, I waited and went to Costco in Pleasant Prairie and got a bratwurst and a cheese pizza slice and a Diet Pepsi.  Much cheaper at $1.50 for the brat and $1.99 for the pizza slice.  I'm cheap... what can I say!  :)

If you have a chance to visit the Fair this year, go!  It's a fun time.  I was lucky in that the weather was very nice.  Upper 70's and low 80's when the sun came out, it was much easier to be out there with my mobility scooter than last year.  Since I don't walk the fair, it was easy for me to scoot around quickly there.  I stayed just under 3 hours, but really, I saw it all.

Costco food for the day (images taken with an Apple iPhone 6s+):



No comments: